Cook County Lawyers

There are over 40,000 practicing lawyers in Cook County – more than in the rest of the state combined. This number includes attorneys specializing in practically all conceivable types of law, in a variety of settings. Below is a bit more information on where and how these lawyers operate and some of the biggest practice areas.

Key Locations
The Daley Center is the main courthouse for Cook County; it is also the courthouse for the County’s 1st District. Most civil cases and traffic cases are held inside, along with many other suits. There are 5 other Cook County Districts, each with its own courthouse. The courthouses are in the following locations: Skokie (2nd District), Rolling Meadows (3rd District), Maywood (4th District), Bridgeview (5th District) and Markham (6th District). If you live in the suburbs, your case may be heard your local district courthouse, but many claims are still heard at the Daley Center, in particular most of those involving over $100,000.

It is best to hire an attorney who has experience both with your specific legal issue and familiarity with the courthouse where your case has been filed. In addition to understanding your case, this type of lawyer may know some of the judges and attorneys who you will be dealing with during your lawsuit. This lawyer will be best equipped to present your case in a way that gives you the best chance of winning.

Lawyers in Cook County vary widely in the amount and types of fees that they charge for their services. Some lawyers work on contingency which means you don’t have to pay any fee to the lawyer unless he or she gets a financial award or settlement for you. The lawyer will then earn a percentage of the monetary amount, often 30%. Certain areas of law are not allowed to be taken on contingency, though, such as criminal and divorce cases. Lawyers working on these cases will probably charge a retainer, which is the fee to officially hire the lawyer. You will most likely also pay an hourly rate for the time the lawyer spends working on your case, although sometimes you can negotiate to pay a flat fee for all of the legal work up front. The amount of the retainer and hourly fee will depend on the law firm the lawyer works for and what type of case you have.

Personal Injury
Most lawsuits arising out of accidents, like car accidents or slip-and-fall cases, are personal injury suits. These cases are also known as tort cases. Tort cases are assigned to two Divisions in Cook County, Law Division and Civil Division. Tort cases for more than $30,000 are assigned to the Law Division and are usually heard at the Daley Center, although smaller cases may be heard in the suburban District courthouses. Smaller cases are assigned to the Civil Division. These smaller cases usually end up in arbitration where the parties try to reach an agreement that works for both sides.

In criminal cases, you will always be opposing the government in your case, and you may face jail time if you lose. Criminal cases are heard in all 6 of the Cook County District courthouses, and in additional Cook County courthouses as well. For instance, most felony cases (like murder or weapons charges) occur at the courthouse located at 26th Street & California. These cases are the most serious and most likely to result in jail time. Lesser criminal charges are typically held in the nearest District courthouse. As with all practice areas, it is very important to hire an attorney who has won cases involving the same crime you are charged with in Cook County, in order to try to avoid penalties.

Medical Malpractice
Almost all medical malpractice cases in Cook County are filed at the Daley Center. Most Cook County attorneys that specialize in medical malpractice are located in Chicago as a result, but will work with individuals from throughout Illinois.

Worker’s Compensation
All workers’ compensation claims are heard at the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission which is located in the Thompson Center. The Thompson Center is located in downtown Chicago, near the Daley Center. This is true if you are injured on the job in Cook County, or you are injured working outside Cook County but your company is based here or you were hired here. Again, most lawyers in this area practice out of Chicago due to its proximity to the Thompson Center, but they will work will all clients who need their services.

Divorce and Family Law
Divorce cases can be heard at the courthouses in Chicago, Skokie, Rolling Meadows, Markham and Maywood. However, the Daley center is the main divorce courthouse and hears the most cases. The location of the divorce proceedings is determined by the person who originally files the case; however the other party can apply to have the case transferred to another courthouse. Divorce and family law attorneys are located throughout Cook County.

All Cook County probate (will, trust and estate issues) are heard at the Daley Center, this includes people who were residents of Cook County when they passed away, even if their family members don’t live in the area. Many Cook County probate lawyers are located in Chicago, but some will practice out of suburban locations and travel into Daley Center when necessary.

Riverside County Attorney – Providing Assistance in Many Matters

There are a variety of items that can prove to be problematic in life and more often than not you should seek professional help in order to get through the things that can go wrong. When you are experiencing tough times in your life as it relates to family issues that may require legal assistance, it is good to know that there are dedicated professionals out there that are willing and able to help get you through your troubles and back to your normal life.

It can be overwhelming and frustrating trying to deal with legal problems by yourself in California cities like Riverside, Temecula, Murrieta, Corona, Hemet and other adjacent neighborhoods with laws changing every six months or year, or the court clerks possibly giving you incorrect information. This is why it can be a good idea to employ a Riverside County attorney to help guide you through the process. These professionals who are conveniently located near the 60, 15, 215 and 91 freeways specialize in many different types of cases and can actually be the difference maker in assuring that you come out on top in your legal battle with as few roadblocks as possible.

If you are in need of legal assistance, you consider making an appointment with a Riverside County attorney to discuss your legal case and to see if they can be of assistance in your matter. This will be the opportunity for you to discuss your case with a professional and to get the viewpoint of a professional on how to proceed with the matter. This can be of extreme benefit because you will likely be a little worried about the proper course to take and these professionals will be able to really help you out because they have dedicated their careers to these matters.

When you first meet with a Riverside County attorney, you can also discuss the costs associated with their services if this is something that you are concerned about. Many people do not have a lot of money to spend on legal services so if you are also in this situation, you might be able to set up some sort of payment plan or find a lawyer that fits into your budget.

The most important thing is that you are able to get through your legal troubles successfully and as painlessly as possible. This may very well mean that the best route for you to take is to hire a legal professional that is dedicated to making sure that your case goes well. Hopefully with their help you will be able to get through your troubles as soon as possible and will be able to quickly return to your normal every day routine.

Orange County Medical Marijuana Laws in Flux

As they are all over California, Orange County medical marijuana laws are in serious dispute. With the legalization of pot for certain medicinal purposes, one might have assumed that dispensaries would become the norm and anyone with a valid prescription would not have to look far to get it filled. However, in practice this has been far from the case. Right now, cities across the state are in a state of legal flux. Some rulings coming down very soon will shed a clearer light on the picture.

Orange County medical marijuana laws are being put to the test by new rulings set to come down from the California state court. They are being charged with ruling whether or not individual cities have the right to ban dispensaries even in the wake of statewide legality. The major setting of the ruling is coming from Anaheim, which has an ordinance in place banning these dispensaries, an ordinance that has come under challenge from citizens and lawyers who claim the ban is in violation of state law.

There’s little doubt that the ruling will affect no only Anaheim but many cities across the state. Other cities are waiting anxiously to see the results before enacting bans of their own or finding out that they won’t be able to. Naturally, interested citizens are also watching closely on both sides of the argument. Those who believe in the legality of the new pot laws are hoping that the state court overturns the bans and makes it illegal for cities to make up their own laws concerning these dispensaries. Those who feel the new pot laws have a damaging effect on municipalities are hoping the bans are upheld and that other cities will adopt similar bans.

Anaheim and Orange County medical marijuana laws have been the subject of controversy for almost as long as the compassion act of 1996 went through. The problem, proponents of the act say, is that if all cities enact bans on legal dispensaries, then the laws are as worthless as the paper they are written on. Legitimate patients will have to go underground to get to their source, making what’s legal turn into something that lies far more in the gray area of the law. People on the other side of the issue claim that these dispensaries lead to an increase in crime and they believe individual cities should have the right to enact their own laws, even if they are contrary to state legislation.

Your Kitsap County, WA Marriage License – 4 Easy Steps to Getting Legally Married in the West Sound

If you are being married in Kitsap County, Washington, here are four easy steps to to help you secure a marriage license and get married!

How To Secure A Legal Marriage License And Get Married In Kitsap County:

1) Make A Trip To The Kitsap County Courthouse in West Sound: Grab your Sweetie and make a trip down to the Kitsap County Courthouse on Division Street in Port Orchard, WA and visit the County Auditor’s Office. The office is open from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and closed on Fridays. Both of you must apply for the license together and if you are unable to apply in person, you can call the Auditor’s office and start the paperwork to secure your marriage license by mail.

To apply for a marriage license, both of you must be at least 18-years-old and have a current photo ID as proof of identification. If one of you is 17 years, you must have a parent accompany you to the courthouse. Happily, a blood test and physical exam is not required!

When you secure your marriage license in Kitsap County, you must use it within 60 days in Kitsap County or any city, town or County within Washington State. Yes, that’s right! You can purchase your marriage license in any County in Washington State and your license is good for up to 60 days in any County in the State. Oh, and don’t forget ~ there is a three-day waiting period to use the marriage license from the date of your initial application.

So, to re-cap: You have 60 days to use your marriage license. And once you have your license, you must wait 3-days for your waiting period to expire before you can get married.

2) Find A Witness! Well, Find Two Witnesses! Yes, you must have two people over the age of 18 to witness your wedding ceremony and sign your legal documents.

3) Find Someone to Marry You: If you are being married within a recognized religious institution, church or organization, a person to marry you usually comes along with the facility. If you are being married outside of an established institution or organization, you most likely will need to find someone to marry you.

In Kitsap County, there are Non-Denominational Wedding Officiants and Ministers available to create and deliver your wedding ceremony. Fire up the Google and search under “Wedding Officiant Kitsap County” or “Wedding Minister Kitsap County” and create a short list of candidates.

If you have time, arrange to have coffee/tea with your prospects and make your best selection. Officiants and Ministers come in all shapes and sizes so your job is to select someone whose personality and approach to crafting and delivering a ceremony resonates with you.

And if time is short, do this by phone. Fees for Officiant vary greatly and there tends to be no set price range for services.

4) Get Married And Submit Your Signed Legal Paperwork: Once you are married, don’t forget to send your signed legal paperwork back to Kitsap County so your marriage can be officially and legally recorded. Your Officiant or Minister will most probably do this and if you do send your signed documents back by snail mail, allow 10-14 days for processing.

For your file and/or for all official name change pieces, you will need a certified copy of your marriage license once it is recorded. Contact the Auditor’s office for a copy at 360.337.4935.

For more marriage license information, visit the Kitsap County Auditor on the web:

Happy Wedding Day!